Vietnam.vn - Nền tảng quảng bá Việt Nam

West calls for restraint as Iran prepares to retaliate against Israel

Công LuậnCông Luận19/11/2024


The leaders of the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Germany and Italy issued a joint statement on Monday expressing "support for ongoing efforts to de-escalate tensions" in the Middle East and secure a ceasefire in the war in Gaza.

“We call on Iran to cease its threats of military attack against Israel and discuss the serious consequences for regional security should such an attack occur,” the statement said.

Western powers call for restraint as Iran prepares to strike Israel photo 1

The assassination of Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh in Iran has pushed the Middle East to the brink of all-out conflict. Photo: Khaled Abdullah

Last-minute calls for restraint

Western powers also endorsed the latest effort by the United States, Qatar and Egypt to broker a ceasefire to end the 10-month war.

Global concerns about a full-blown conflict in the Middle East are growing after Israel allegedly assassinated Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh in Iran and senior Hezbollah commander Fuad Shukr in Lebanon last month.

Earlier on Monday, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer also issued a joint statement calling on all sides to de-escalate.

“The fighting must end now, and all hostages still held by Hamas must be released. The people of Gaza need urgent and unhindered delivery and distribution of relief supplies,” the statement said.

The German and British governments said that Chancellor Scholz and Prime Minister Starmer also had separate phone calls with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Monday. The British prime minister's office said Mr Starmer asked Mr Pezeshkian to refrain from attacking Israel because war is in no one's interest.

Meanwhile, Mr. Scholz “called on President Pezeshkian to do everything possible to prevent further military escalation,” expressing “great concern about the risk of a regional conflict in the Middle East” and said “the spiral of violence in the Middle East must be broken now.”

The attack happened this week?

“While stressing diplomatic solutions to problems, Iran will never succumb to pressure, sanctions and bullying,” a statement released by Iran’s official IRNA news agency after the calls said.

White House national security spokesman John Kirby said on Monday that the US was preparing for an attack that could come as early as this week. “We have to be prepared for what could be a significant series of attacks,” he said.

Iran is expected to carry out Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s order to “severely punish” Israel. Hezbollah has also promised revenge after Israel announced the assassination of its commander Shukr in the capital Beirut.

Despite calls for restraint and a ceasefire, fighting on current fronts in the Middle East continues as Israel continues to shell Gaza. Meanwhile, clashes on the Israel-Lebanon border continue and escalate.

Hezbollah said an Israeli airstrike on Sunday killed two of its fighters. Meanwhile, the Lebanese militant group reportedly fired 30 rockets into northern Israel on Monday.

Bui Huy (according to AJ, CNN, IRNA)



Source: https://www.congluan.vn/cac-cuong-quoc-phuong-tay-keu-goi-kiem-che-khi-iran-chuan-bi-dap-tra-israel-post307451.html

Comment (0)

Simple Empty
No data

Same tag

Same category

The 'U-turn' of the only female student admitted directly to Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy
How does artificial intelligence work?
Ho Chi Minh City - the shape of a modern 'super city'
A series of events promises to bring Binh Dinh's image far and wide.

Same author

Heritage

Figure

Enterprise

No videos available