Vietnam.vn - Nền tảng quảng bá Việt Nam

American veterans and the sound of violin at the foot of Son My monument

57 years after the My Lai massacre, an American veteran still regularly returns to this place, playing memorial music, hoping to ease the pain of war and send a message of peace to the world.

Thời ĐạiThời Đại17/03/2025

On March 16, at the foot of the monument at the Son My Memorial Site (Tinh Khe Commune, Quang Ngai City, Quang Ngai Province), American veteran Mike Boehm played the violin again, as he has done for more than two decades. The sad sound of the violin echoed in the quiet space, as if to hold back his heart in memory of the 504 innocent civilians who fell in the horrific massacre 57 years ago.

Ông Mike Boehm kéo vĩ cầm dưới chân tượng đài Sơn Mỹ. (Ảnh: Znews)
Mr. Mike Boehm plays the violin at the foot of the Son My monument. (Photo: Znews)

Every year, Mr. Boehm flies halfway around the world to return. “I play the guitar to commemorate the victims of the Son My massacre . At the same time, I hope that this music will contribute to the development of Son My, a destination for peace lovers,” he said.

On the morning of March 16, 1968, in My Lai hamlet, Son My village (Tinh Khe commune, Quang Ngai city, Quang Ngai province), a platoon of US army soldiers suddenly landed and opened fire, massacring 504 innocent civilians there. Among them were 182 women, 60 elderly people, 173 children and 189 middle-aged people.

The massacre shocked world public opinion about the crimes that the US army committed against the Vietnamese people, creating a wave of protests against the war of aggression against Vietnam in the US and around the world.

Mike Boehm joined the infantry division stationed in Cu Chi (Saigon) in 1968. As soon as he arrived in Vietnam, he saw the brutality of war when the liberation army attacked Saigon during the Mau Than campaign. When he learned about the Son My massacre, he was haunted for decades.

In 1998, on the 30th anniversary of the massacre, he returned to the site with two American veterans who had rescued women and children from their comrades’ guns. There, he played a song about the feelings of a woman waiting for her husband during the American Civil War more than 200 years ago on an old violin. Since then, his violin has become part of the annual massacre commemoration ceremony.

Boehm has devoted his life to charity work. Since 1993, he has founded the Madison Quakers organization, which helps poor women in Quang Ngai buy breeding cows, build charity houses and provide scholarships for children.

“I am happy to see people here living better,” he said.

504 bông hồng của cựu binh Billy Kelly.
504 roses from veteran Billy Kelly. (Photo: Economic & Urban Newspaper)

Unable to return due to old age, American veteran Billy Kelly - who was stationed in Duc Pho (Quang Ngai) in 1968-1969 - sent 504 roses to commemorate the 504 people of Son My. Along with it was a card with the words: "Never forget". Mr. Kelly has never forgotten the torment of what happened on this land. For many years, he has returned to Son My to attend the memorial service for the 504 innocent civilians.

On the same day, Mr. Ronald L. Haeberle, an American war correspondent who took photos of the Son My massacre, was also present at the memorial service. His photos shocked the world, becoming undeniable evidence of war crimes, contributing to promoting the movement against the Vietnam War right in the US.

Ông Ronald L. Haeberle (áo xanh), tác giả của những bức ảnh về thảm sát Sơn Mỹ, dâng hương tại lễ tưởng niệm. (Ảnh: Báo Kinh tế & Đô thị)
Mr. Ronald L. Haeberle (in blue shirt), author of the photos of the Son My massacre, offers incense at the memorial service. (Photo: Kinh te & Do thi Newspaper)

More than half a century has passed, every time Son My is mentioned, the pain and loss still cannot be forgotten in the minds of Son My people, millions of Vietnamese people and peace-loving people around the world. But Son My people have closed the past to look forward to a bright future, turning pain into motivation, building their homeland and country together; promoting friendship, for peace and progress of humanity.

Mr. Nguyen Van Thanh, Deputy Director of the Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Quang Ngai province said: "The Son My massacre is not the only incident, but it is a typical incident of the savage and brutal crimes committed by the warring forces on Quang Ngai land. Let us close the past to look to the future, make friends with countries and peoples with the same aspirations for peace and progress. This is the way of life, the morality deeply imbued in the behavior of every Vietnamese person, including the Son My people who still carry the wounds of war on their skin and soul."

Source: https://thoidai.com.vn/cuu-binh-my-va-tieng-vi-cam-duoi-chan-tuong-dai-son-my-211347.html


Comment (0)

Simple Empty
No data
The 'U-turn' of the only female student admitted directly to Ho Chi Minh City University of Medicine and Pharmacy
How does artificial intelligence work?
Ho Chi Minh City - the shape of a modern 'super city'
A series of events promises to bring Binh Dinh's image far and wide.

Heritage

Figure

Enterprise

No videos available